With the Vodacom URC Origin Rounds coming up, we are taking a closer look at some of the schools that have produced DHL Stormers players.
In Rounds 10 and 11 the Vodacom URC has invited teams, players and fans to celebrate the communities and people who helped launch the careers of hundreds of rugby players and coaches.
From #GrassrootsToGreatness the Vodacom URC will shine a spotlight on the identities of the clubs, schools and communities that do an incredible job of giving children the chance to first pick up a rugby ball and guide the lucky few good enough to reach the elite level.
Paarl is known as a rugby factory, with many international stars having started their rugby journey in the winelands town.
There are five players in the current DHL Stormers squad who were schooled at Paarl Boys High. Frans Malherbe, Salmaan Moerat, Evan Roos, Jean-Luc du Plessis and Paul de Wet all attended ‘Booishaai’ before making it as professional players.
The rugby field at Brug Street in Paarl is known for the incredible atmosphere created by the passionate support that the boys show for all of their teams, making it a memorable day of schoolboy rugby on every visit.
Known for their fierce rivalry with local rivals Paarl Gimnasium, the Interskole derby is one of the biggest schoolboy rugby matches in the world, with crowds of over 20 000 regularly attending this massive fixture.
- URC – DHL Stormers Dominate URC Team Of The Week
- FNB Varsity Cup – FNB Wits Bully FNB UWC
- FNB Varsity Cup – Poor Discipline Cost FNB UJ Against FNB CUT
- FNB Varsity Cup – NWU FNB Eagles Got Defence Of Title Off To Perfect Start Against FNB Maties
- FNB Varsity Cup – FNB UCT Ikeys Beat UFS Shimlas In A Hard-fought Battle
- Vodacom Bulls Confirm Devon Williams’ Transfer From The Airlink Pumas
- URC – The DHL Stormers Can Get Even Better
- SVNS – “We Realise We Need To Deliver In Vancouver” – Ryan Oosthuizen
- Springboks Name Squad For First 2024 Alignment Camp
- URC – Last Gasp Ospreys Win Lifts SA’s URC Hopes
- Varsity Cup – FNB Varsity Cup Expected To Kick Off With A Bang
- URC – “They Don’t Play Rugby In Their Half, They’re Not Dangerous” – Jake White
- URC – Double Derby Delight For Vodacom Bulls And DHL Stormers
- URC – Ospreys Snatch Victory Over Ulster With Last-Minute Drop Goal
- URC – “We Aren’t There Yet. We Will Get There” – John Plumtree