Please send results or fixtures not listed to Results@ruggas.co.za
|01-Jul-17||Muir College||0||-||0||Stellenberg||Coastal Tournament|
|03-Jul-17||Grey PE||0||-||0||Stellenberg||Coastal Tournament|
18 Oct 2016 - Divan Batt - 1stXV Coach Stellenberg Hoër
18 Oct 2016 - Stellenberg Hoërskool - Appointing New Coaches
2017 - Preview
If 2016 was a year of learning we can expect all involved learned what it takes not only to be competitive but also what it takes to win. A very young 1stXV in 2016 does not automatically ensure success in 2017. So expect a Stellenberg hardened by 2016 to come out in 2017 all guns blazing.
The following players that return in 2017 is: Corne van Romburgh, Angelo Davids and Jacques van Biljon in the backline. Chad Crathorne, Josh Muller, Nicko Laubscher, Erik Vermeulen, Janko Swanepoel, AJ Rossouw, Johann van der Merwe and Hanekom will make for an experienced pack.
Add to that the exciting u/16's of which six represented WP at the Grant Khomo Week in 2016. Jessie Herborn, Leeuwner vd Merwe, Niven Peterson, Justin Cupido, Jason Jansen, Lindo Ncusane and Nahum Johannes.
STELLENBERG HOëRSKOOL - A PROUD TRADITION
A few years ago it was decided to take the necessary action to make Stellenberg a real power in schoolboy rugby and the first choice for boys in the Northern suburbs in Cape Town. To become successful all involved decided they will have to work hard at the following aspects.
(1) The number of boys playing rugby must be increased. In 2013 only ten teams were playing rugby. In 2016 16 teams played on a regular basis.
(2) Quality coaches, managers and scouting had to be ensured. The development of the coaches as person and coach received a lot of attention. Thereby ensuring that quality coaching is available to all age groups. Specialist coaching was made use of when needed.
2012 saw the opening of the high-performance centre. This top class facility is run by Conraad de Villiers. Here athletes received guidance to develop in a top athlete. A database of all the athletes is kept, not only tracking performance and training schedules but also in the case of injuries the rehabilitation process.
The establishment of a culture of regular exercise and a healthy lifestyle is seen as the major factor in achieving the long-term development of the athlete. A scientific approach is followed in the long-term development of each athlete to optimise their power, speed and explosiveness.
An active scouting and recruitment drive was started to ensure that boys of surrounding primary schools see Stellenberg as their number one choice.
(3) To ensure that all teams perform and not only the 1stXV. The objective here was to play against stronger competition and at big national tournaments. 2016 saw Stellenberg taking part in the Noor/Suid and Wildeklawer tournaments. The success of all teams is reflected in the drastic increase in boys playing rugby. From 10 teams in 2013 to 16 teams in 2016.
(4) An attractive brand of rugby must be played by all the teams
(5) To cultivate a passion and pride for the school and community. This was achieved by ensuring that all pupils attending the matches wear their school uniform and sit as a school together on the pavilion. Old scholars and the community was encouraged to wear supporter's kit and a similar dress code for the players and referees. The education of spectators regarding their behaviour during matches was also attended to.
NATIONAL AND PROVINCIAL RUGBY REPRESENTATIVES
Springboks : Carel van der Merwe
Provincial : JC Kritzinger, Carel van der Merwe
SA Schools : Enwill Alexander
2016 was a year of several firsts at Stellenberg.
The Noord/Suid tournament in Pretoria was their first appearance and they celebrated their arrival as "Rugby School" in style. Two wins against some of the top schools in Gauteng was more than enough to look forward to a big season.
Another first was their invite to the Wildeklawer tournament in Kimberley. This tournament has seen several "wannabees" entering the big stage only to be reminded in an ugly manner what it takes to become a top rugby school. An impressive win against Noord Kaap was followed by a close, some would say unlucky loss against another up and coming star Garsfontein Hoërskool.
Their aim to be a top rugby school was acknowledged by allowing them to compete against some of the Western Province Premier Rugby League, arguably the toughest schoolboy rugby league in South Africa. The losses against Paul Roos, Paarl Boishaai, Boland Landbou and Paarl Gim was expected but also confirmed Stellenberg as worthy to compete in this league.
National and Provincial Players
Angelo Davids (WP u/19 Academy Week)
Lindokuhle Ncusane (WP u/16 Craven Week)
Justin Cupido (WP u/16 Craven Week)
Jason Jansen (WP u/16 Craven Week)
Nivan Peterson (WP u/16 Craven Week)
Jessie Herborn (WP u/16 Craven Week)
Natum Johannes (WP XV u/16 Craven Week)
|Season Stats :||Average Score||31||-||20|
|5||02-Apr-15||Nico malan||35||-||0||Win||N||Tony Stoops Fest|
|6||04-Apr-15||Weston||32||-||5||Win||N||Tony Stoops Fest|
|7||06-Apr-15||Worcester Gim||19||-||18||Win||N||Tony Stoops Fest|
|9||25-Apr-15||Walvis Bay||22||-||10||Win||N||Wynberg Festival|
|11||09-May-15||Western Cape SS||89||-||0||Win||H|
|19||05-Aug-15||Wellington Coll - UK||26||-||21||Win||H|
|Season Stats :||Average Score||34||-||9|