Day Two @ The Kearsney Festival

Kearsney centre Cameron Craze hands off Hoerskool Noord-Kaap


09h30 - Hoërskool Noord-Kaap 31-14 Queen’s College


The third match of the festival was a tightly contested game between Queen’s College and Pretoria Boys High and without the plethora of tries seen in the first two matches. Queen’s, back at the festival for the first time since 2009, held on despite giving away penalties that kept newcomers PBHS in the game. Queen’s had the majority of possession in the first half, although most of the play took place between the two 22m areas. The final match on the first day of KERF was keenly contested by HTS Middelburg and Hoerskool Noord-Kaap. HTS Middelburg had the better of the early exchanges but as the game progressed Noord-Kaap grew in confidence. Noord-Kaap backs showed a lot of pace and were enterprising in the last quarter with the ball moving through numerous hands and defences holding. I can not see Queens being able to contain the exciting Noor Kaap, the eventual winners.

Game 1 - Noord-Kaap fullback Cameron Hufke powers towards the try line


Match Report

Having narrowly lost their games on Thursday, both Noord-Kaap and Queen’s came out keen for a win in the first game on day two of the festival. The two sets of big forwards were evenly matched but as the half progressed, so Noord-Kaap began winning a greater share of the ball.  The three-quarters swung the ball from touchline to touchline, and the pressure told as Noord-Kaap scored five times in the first half.  Queen’s only got close to the Noord-Kaaptryline once, but the Noord-Kaap defence was resolute. Captain and flank Edrich Brand opened the scoring toward the end of the first quarter, converted by Cameron Hufke.  The backs then came into their own, running the Queen’s defence awry.  Left wing Maurice Amerika made a good break from midfield and he rounded the Queen’s defence to score for an easy conversion by Hufke. Centre Yaseer Daniels was next to add a five-pointer as he received a long pass and he beat the defence to score in the corner for a 19-0 lead. The final two tries went to fullback Hufke after good pressure and again the Queen’s defence let him through on the left.  He was unable to convert his own try.  Finally, to complete the first half scoring spree, right wing Andries Jacobs went over in the left corner.  This time Hufke added the extra points and Noord-Kaap had a handsome 31-0 lead at the break. Some stern talking from the Queen’s coaches saw them start winning the ball and spending more time in the Noord-Kaap half. This resulted in Queen’s forwards pressurising on the Noord-Kaap line.  A ruck close to the line saw lock and captain Aaron Brody coming up with the ball.  Keith Kroutz made no mistake with the wide conversion giving Queen’s their first points.  It had taken them 11 minutes in the second half to trail 7-31. The Eastern Cape boys continued to play the better rugby in the second half.  A kick through when on attack saw Noord-Kaap pressurised into dotting down after carrying the ball back into the in-goal area.  From the succeeding 5m scrum, the ball was swung and flyhalfKroutz gifted through a gap to score under the uprights and converted to narrow the gap to 14-31. With 10 minutes left on the clock, it was probably not enough time to get a win, but they continued to have the lion’s share of possession and territory. The game ended with Noord-Kaap winning 31-14 but Queen’s showed great determination to come back and win the second half scoring two tries to nil.

Hoerskool Noord-Kaap: Tries: Hufke, Jacobs, Daniels, Amerika, Brand; Conversions: Hufke (3)

Queen’s College: Tries: Kroutz, Brody; Conversions: Kroutz (2)


10h45 - Selborne College 60-5 Pretoria Boys High

Selborne showed that they will be one of the top sides at the festival this year when they played enterprising rugby and were fast to capitalise on mistakes made by EG Jansen. It was a good game with Selborne flair giving them a 46-19 win. Pretoria Boys High showed that in the game against Queen's College that they are improving in a tightly contested game but do not possess the flair like Selborne to score tries. Selborne should win this one with ease.

Game 2 - Selborne - Framesby


Match Report

Selborne, who had dominated in their first match, were kept at bay by Pretoria for the first 10 minutes and the latter missed a relatively easy penalty to go ahead. This galvanised Selborne and they starved PBHS of possession with their No 8 dominant in the tight loose.  Selborne’s scoring was opened with a penalty by scrumhalf Mitchell Connellan.  Two tries back to back followed; the first by fullback Jason Raubenheimer and converted by Connellan for a 10-0 lead. Immediately on the attack from the kick-off the ball again came wide and centre Sibabalwe Xamlashe beat defenders to score.  Again Connellan was successful with the extra points for a 17-0 lead with Pretoria starved of the ball Selborne continued pressurising and impressive left wing AfikaNdinisa rounded the defence to score.  Connellan converted for a 24-0 lead. The East Londoners were not finished and it was Ndimisa again, this time with more work to do, as he sidestepped his way through two tackles to score. Connellan’s successful conversion took Selborne into a 31-0 lead at halftime. It took 10 minutes for Selborne to open their scoring in the second half.  Replacement scrumhalf Thomas Bursey darted over from a ruck close to the line.  This was well converted by David Coetzer who had just come onto the field - for a 38-0 lead. PBHS managed to work their way up field and when awarded a penalty 10m out they ran it and, from a succeeding ruck, the ball came out and flank Slade Guy stretched to dot down. Selborne replied immediately getting back on the attack and, with 14 players after a yellow card, they won the ball, moved it left, and some deft passes ended with Bursey going over for his second try and a 39-5 lead. Coetzer was soon to make a difference and when a pass was dropped with PBHS 30m out, Coetzer was quick to pick up the ball and sprint 60 metres to score under the sticks and convert for a 46-5 lead.Selborne added two further tries in the last five minutes by hooker Mark Venter and wiry Miles Morton, converted by Coetzer for a 58-5 win. Selborne illustrated with this good win that they will be difficult to beat in the forthcoming season.

Selborne: Tries: Raubenheimer, Xamlashe, Ndinisa (2), Bursey (2), Coetzer, Venter, Norton; Conversions: Connellan (3), Coetzer (2); Penalty: Connellan

Pretoria Boys High: Tries: Slade Guy.


12h00 - Kearsney College 23-0 Hoërskool Framesby


Defence patterns were sound and although Kearsney were making some good turnover against Drostdy HTS but mistakes at vital times prevented possible points. As in the first half, Drostdy got stronger towards the end and scored three tries in the last six minutes. In the game between Framesby and Glenwood, the wind brought rain which affected ball handling, making it sufficiently greasy for passes to be dropped. Towards the end of the game, the rain became heavier, so much of the play was amongst the forwards.There were some big tackles by both sides as play moved from end to end. Framesby should win this one with a shortage of match time affecting Kearsney big time.

Game 3 - Kearsney point scorer James Sutherland scores a try


Match Report

This was a match again between two sides who lost on Thursday, but it did not reach the height of the two previous matches.The home side dominated the forward exchanges whilst Framesby had to feed off scraps.  Thus the ball seldom went out to the wings, making it easier for Kearsney to defend. A penalty by James Sutherland, playing at centre in this game, put the team into a 3-0 lead.  Seven minutes later it was Sutherland who went through a gap and used his pace to score in the corner.  He converted well, for his side to lead 10-0. Left wing Robbie Koenig, always looking dangerous with the ball in hand, managed to toe the ball forward with his right boot, and then again with his left, picking up the ball just short of the try line to go over for Kearsney’s second try.  This was again converted by Sutherland to lead 17-0. Just before halftime, Sutherland converted his second penalty for the hosts to go into the break 20-0 up. Framesby won more ball in the second half and, as they come from the windy city Port Elizabeth, they should be used to playing in a wind.  But they continued to make mistakes in the cross-field wind. Despite pressure from Framesby in the Kearsney half, Framesby attacked by trying to break through with their forwards close to the breakdown.  Kearsney was able to defend, preventing any points by the opposition. Sutherland kicked another penalty, taking his personal points tally for the game to 18.

Kearsney: Tries: Sutherland, Koenig; Conversions: Sutherland (2); Penalties: Sutherland (3)

Framesby: 0


13h15 - Dr EG Jansen 19-25 Glenwood


EG Jansen will be disappointed by their errors which gifted some points to Selborne. EG Jansen began looking more cohesive and used their forwards to pick and drive, ending in a try for lock Dominique McArthur after their regular flyhalf Ruben Beytell came on in the second half and showed that he had been missed when he had a determined run to dot down after a 25m run. Glenwood's game was affected with the wind bringing rain which affected ball handling, making it sufficiently greasy for passes to be dropped. Towards the end of the game, the rain became heavier, so much of the play was amongst the forwards. The weather-affected game between Glenwood and Framesby did not make us any wiser regarding the quality of the Glenwood team of 2017 but they should be able to win this one. But if the right EG Jansen pitches I would not be surprised if the win.

Glenwoods JJ vand der Mescht breaks though a few tackles


Match Report

The fifth match saw Glenwood on the attack from the kick-off.  They maintained early pressure on EG Jansen but could not convert pressure into points. Gradually the Boksburg side started spreading the ball preferring to move the ball through the hand rather than kicking.  Just going into the second quarter EG Jansen were awarded a kickable penalty but they kicked for the corner.  From the lineout, they mauled the ball over the line and lock Reinhardt Venter was driven over to score.  EG Jansen led 5-0. Minutes later a good ball from the back of the lineout was moved out to the left, which eventually led to flyhalf Ruben Beytell diving over.  He converted to take the score to 12-0. Just before halftime Glenwood moved the ball from a ruck and lock JJ van der Mescht made a bullocking 20 metre run and, when stopped, fullback Rynardt Jonker drew defences and passed to wing Janus Hendrikz who scored Glenwood’s first points for them to trail 7-12 at the drinks break. Glenwood changed their tactics in the second half moving the ball quickly, handling well and running at the EG Jansen defence.  Passing the ball before going to ground, they scored three brilliant tries.  No 8 Dylan Kruger scored the first when he was on hand to pick up a pass and dive over near the posts for a second conversion by Morne van Rensburg. The second try came after quick interplay between backs and forward with Hendrikz going over for his second try.  They continued passing quickly and flyhalf Dylan Pretorius found himself receiving the ball on the outside.  He had the pace to evade the covering defence and just failed with his conversion.  But Glenwood now had a comfortable 24-12 lead. The final seven or eight minutes was spent in the Glenwood half as EG Jansen attempted to improve their points.  This came close but a knock-on on the line prevented the try.  They did not give up and from a penalty centre, Dylan Schwartz managed to go over with a couple of Glenwood defenders on his back.  This was converted by Beytell to leave Glenwood a very satisfying 24-19 win. 

EG Jansen: Tries: Beytell, Venter, Schwartz; Conversions: Beytell (2)

Glenwood: Tries: Hendrikz (2), Pretorius, Kruger; Conversions: Van Rensburg (2)


14h30 - Dale College 25-26 HTS Drostdy


HTS Drostdy, playing for the first time at the Standard Bank Kearsney Easter Rugby Festival, certainly produced some good festival rugby with hard running backs and strong forwards to win their first game. Playing in warm breezy conditions, it took a little time for Drostdy to settle down and as in the first half, Drostdy got stronger towards the end and scored three tries in the last six minutes. Dale, on the other hand, had to feed on scraps against the big and powerful Monnas but, as the first half grew longer, so they started getting more ball.  Missed opportunities by Monnas frustrated the players and helped Dale to keep in touch. Dale will face the same "type" of the team and will need to find a strategy to keep those big boys in control otherwise a long afternoon waits, again.

Game 5 - Drostdy wing Adriaan Maans on his way to score a try


Match Report

With both the King Williams Town team, Dale College, and the team from Worcester, HTS Drostdy, feeling one another out, it took 13 minutes before there was any score.  Drostdy’s heavier pack of forwards began winning more of the possession.  From a scrum, scrum-half Romeo Eksteen made a break to score a five-pointer. Drostdy kept pressurising Dale, preventing them showing their normal flare and with Drostdy growing in confidence they were rewarded when fullback Cohen Jasper broke from a ruck through the middle, eventually going over without a Dale finger touching him.  An easy conversion by Jasper saw Drostdy into a 12-0 lead. This they increased to 19-0 when left wing Adriaan Maans had a 45m run down the left touchline and, with inside and outside jinxes, went over 10m from the upright.  Jasper converted to give the Western Cape lads a 19-0 halftime lead. Dale came out in the second half with greater determination.  Very few scrums enabled them to get clean ball as Drostdy forwards had them retreating.   Despite this, the Dalians persevered and were rewarded when the ball was moved quickly to centre SiphamandlaMatsinya who sliced through the defence to score.  It was converted by captain ApheleleFassi to narrow the gap to 7-19. The more the game was unstructured, the more it suited Dale.  Their rush defence prevented Drostdy getting over the line and when they worked their way down the right hand to force a ruck in the corner, the eighth man Thandile Mpangeva scored with a pick and go.  Fassi could not convert but Dale was now within seven points of the Drostdy score. With six minutes remaining, Dale’s Soyama Mini used good pace down the touchline, passing inside to centre Matsinya who drove through a tackle to score.  With Fassi converting, the scores were level. Within four minutes of the end, Dale was awarded a penalty which Fassi converted; and on the final whistle, Fassi put over a 45m drop goal for a 25-19 lead.  As the final whistle went, Christie Grobbelaar broke and evaded the defence to score.  Jasper converted to snatch a 26-25 victory for Drostdy. This ended a good comeback from Dale in the second half where they played the rugby that the crowd expected.  However, it was Drostdy that made an ultimate effort in the last 30 seconds to win a cracking game.

HTS Drostdy: Tries: Jasper, Grobbelaar, Maans, Eksteen; Conversions: Jasper (3)

Dale College: Tries: Matsinya (2), Mpangeva; Conversions: Fassi (2); Penalties: Fassi (2)


15h45 - Hoërskool Monument 35-8 HTS Middelburg

Monument, with a very large pack of forwards, dominated the early stages of the game.against Dale who had to feed on scraps but, as the first half grew longer, Dale started getting more ball.  Missed opportunities by Monnas frustrated the players and helped Dale to keep in touch.There were some big tackles by both sides as play moved from end to end. The final match on the first day of KERF was keenly contested by HTS Middelburg and Hoerskool Noord-Kaap. Middelburg had the better of the early exchanges but as the game progressed Noord-Kaap grew in confidence. Both teams were enterprising in the last quarter with the ball moving through numerous hands and defences holding. Middelburg HTS already lost 12-14 against Monnas during the Tuks Series quarterfinals and should know what to expect and what to do to win BUT Monnas should also have done their homework. Who? Monnas with HTS able to surprise.

Game 6 - Middelburg eighth man Ruvaan Muller


The final match of the second day saw two sides known for their physicality playing one another just 10 days after meeting at the end of the first term.  In that match, Monnas (the Witbulle) was successful by just two points. From the kick-off Monna's fullback Barend Jansen van Rensburg was nearly successful chasing the ball at pace but just knocked it on.  Thereafter it was cut and thrust as the two sides attempted to gain ascendancy.  A penalty apiece, first by Jonathan Viljoen from Monument and minutes later by MorneSonnekus, left them at 3-all. PJ Jacobs, Monnas captain and No 8, scored the first try when he went over following a set phase, and the 8-3 lead went to the Witbulle.  Monnas was looking the stronger unit and not allowing HTS much freedom.  They increased their lead to 11-3 with another penalty by Viljoen.  HTS, the Rooibulle, won good ball through an intercept by hooker Morne Brandon.  He beat the defence to the line and, with the Viljoen conversion successful, Monnas’ lead was stretched to 18-3 at half-time. A mistake by Middelburg led to the first try of the second half when scrumhalf TinusCombrinck slipped through a gap running 15m to score.  Viljoen converted and shortly thereafter slotted a penalty for Monument to stretch their lead. Middelburg scored a try from a 5m penalty with a pick and drive when prop Brandon Pienaar was forced over. Monnas’ scrumhalf Combrincksniped over from the base of a ruck for another Monument try.  With Viljoen’s conversion successful, the Witbulle won 35-8.

HTS Middelburg: Try: Pienaar; Penalty: Sonnekus

Monument: Tries: Prinsloo, Jacobs, Brandon, Combrinck (2); Conversions: Viljoen (2); Penalties: Viljoen (2)