FNB TUT is excited about the 2024 FNB Varsity Shield season with a new head coach and a group of hungry lads. According to head coach Flash Malinga, the Pretoria West side is ready to compete for the title this year.
“It was impressive to watch the boys play last year, one or two results might have changed the season completely but we are looking to build up and take it from there. I think one should go into the season aiming to win the season and not just reach the semis or knock-outs.”
TUT tackles the season with a combined squad of new players and experienced players. Malinga is delighted with his troops regardless of their experience in Varsity rugby and believes there are a couple of players to look out for.
“There are a number of boys that have joined us this year, but instead of hand-picking them I would say look out for the team even though a team is made up of individuals. We have a few players returning that played last year and we expect pure leadership, they need to guide the youngsters and equip them with what the TUT rugby culture is about.”
The Vikings begin their campaign with an away game on Friday 23 February against debutants FNB Varsity College. According to Malinga, it will be an interesting encounter.
“We have Varsity College coached by Jeremy [McLaren], it will an interesting one as we will be away from home. We expect a good team and they will bring a number of KZN boys. At this stage we are focusing on our pre-season matches so we can be well prepared for our first game.”
PROVISIONAL SQUAD LIST (subject to change)
Lawrence Nong, Jandre Van Zyl, Mxolisi Nzama, Clinton Ngomane, Thato Mopedi, Thapelo Mokoa, Kgomotso Maribana, Knowledge Chaira, Lutho Tom, Lwazi Dlamini, Athenkosi Jack, Godfrey Sebekolodi, Buhlebuyeza Ndunakazi, Luke Van Aardt, Chegofatso Kgophane, Olwethu Prence, Dwayne Zeeland, Ayabonga Zakwe, Jamie Felix, Tandai Chikohwa, Puseletso Tselane, Joshua Robinson, Mauritz Maritz, Vuyani Vanqa, Junior Malaza, Kananelo Malejoane, Lutendo Netshoizwi, Nhlanhla Shabalala, Samkele Mkhabela, Thato Thuleli, Clayton Charles, Sean-B Kagiso Tshego, Shandon Botha, Lesedi Philips.
- URC – DHL Stormers Dominate URC Team Of The Week
- FNB Varsity Cup – FNB Wits Bully FNB UWC
- FNB Varsity Cup – Poor Discipline Cost FNB UJ Against FNB CUT
- FNB Varsity Cup – NWU FNB Eagles Got Defence Of Title Off To Perfect Start Against FNB Maties
- FNB Varsity Cup – FNB UCT Ikeys Beat UFS Shimlas In A Hard-fought Battle
- Vodacom Bulls Confirm Devon Williams’ Transfer From The Airlink Pumas
- URC – The DHL Stormers Can Get Even Better
- SVNS – “We Realise We Need To Deliver In Vancouver” – Ryan Oosthuizen
- Springboks Name Squad For First 2024 Alignment Camp
- URC – Last Gasp Ospreys Win Lifts SA’s URC Hopes
- Varsity Cup – FNB Varsity Cup Expected To Kick Off With A Bang
- URC – “They Don’t Play Rugby In Their Half, They’re Not Dangerous” – Jake White
- URC – Double Derby Delight For Vodacom Bulls And DHL Stormers
- URC – Ospreys Snatch Victory Over Ulster With Last-Minute Drop Goal
- URC – “We Aren’t There Yet. We Will Get There” – John Plumtree