Schoolboy Rugby – Match Reports Day 4 Of Noord/Suid Rugby Festival


Affies 38-11 Stellenberg

Following ten minutes of action Affies struck from a driving maul sending their wing away to score out wide to lead 07-00 after ten minutes of play in the first half. It took another ten minutes to score their second try from a driving maul to extend their lead to 12-00.

Affies' backline scored a spectacular try three minutes later. With three minutes left to play, Stellenberg converted a penalty to reduce Affies' lead to 19-03, which was also the halftime score.

Brilliant start by Stellenberg in the second half, taking on Affies up front to score their first try of the match to reduce Affies' lead to 19-08 and thirty minutes still to play.

Affies continued their physical onslaught on Stellenberg, however, they used their backline to punish Stellenberg whenever the opportunity arose. Affies scored their fourth try following a great break by their midfield to extend their lead to 26-08 with 25 minutes to play.

Affies once again scored from a lineout-maul and with fourteen minutes left to play Affies led 31-11. With seconds left on the clock, Affies scored yet another try from a lineout-maul to secure a 38-11 win. 

Monnas 48-21 Durbanville

Monnas started the match using their big forwards to hammer away at the Durbanville defence, however, after ten minutes of play Monnas suddenly sent the ball out wide for their speedsters to score in the corner. Six minutes later Monnas once again decided to use their backline and extended their lead to 12-00 after eighteen minutes of play.

Durbanville dominated the last ten minutes and was "unlucky" on several occasions not to score. However, it was Monnas that started to run in their own half which ended in a great try for Monnas to extend their lead to 17-00 with five minutes to play in the first half, which was also the halftime score.

Durbanville continued their good form during the latter part of the first half and scored their first try after five minutes of play in the second half, reducing Monnas lead to 07-19. Monnas struck back minutes later from the kickoff to score their fourth try and led 26-07.

Monnas continued their dominance and scored four tries to the two of Durbanville to cruise to a 48-21 win.

Paul Roos 47-24 Waterkloof

Paul Roos had a great start and scored their first try of the match after just three minutes of play. Waterkloof struck back almost immediately with a try of their own out wide to level the scores at 07-07.

Paul Roos continued to apply pressure which led to them scoring two unanswered tries. Although Paul Roos led 19-07 at the halftime break, their discipline did put them under unnecessary pressure allowing Waterkloof to stay in the match which could have easily become a one-sided match.

Paul Roos started the second half like a house on fire, scoring three unanswered tries to extend their lead to 40-07. Waterkloof added their second try of the match after twenty minutes of play after some great work by the men from Pretoria.

Waterkloof started to get their hands on quality attacking ball and they started to dominate, launching attact after attack on the Paul Roos tryline. Two brilliant tries by Waterkloof during the final ten minutes reduced Paul Roos' lead to 40-24. However, Paul Roos had the final say, scoring another try to win 47-24.

Noordheuwel 33-32 Duineveld

Duineveld opened the scoring with a try after six minutes of play to lead 05-00 to which Noordheuwel replied with a try of their own four minutes later. There is no structure in the game as both teams are spreading the ball wide at every opportunity. Noordheuwel scored their second try after fifteen minutes of play to lead 12-05. The ding-dong battle continued with Duineveld adding a second try five minutes later to level the scores at 12-12.

A converted penalty by Duineveld was followed by brilliant passing and interplay by Noordheuwel that led to a great try to extend Noordheuwel's lead to 19-15. With a minute still to play Duineveld scored a converted penalty to retake the lead with 22-19.

The ding-dong battle continued with Noordheuwel scoring the winning try two minutes before the end of the match, beating Duineveld 33-32.

Paarl Gim 66-10 Pretoria Boys High

Paarl Gim ran Pretoria Boys High to pieces and led 49-03 at the halftime break. Paarl Gimnasium extended their lead to 66-03 before Pretoria Boys High scored their first try to trail 10-66 with ten minutes still to play. Paarl Gim scored eleven tries to the one of Pretoria Boys High to win 66-10.

Outeniqua 37-17 Menlopark

Outeniqua opened the scoring within the first four minutes of the match. The Menlopark defenders were a bit "iffy" and could not stop the dancing winger of Outeniqua. Although Menlopark was pinned down in their own half, Menlopark started a movement from within their own half to score their first try which took them into the lead with 07-05 after nine minutes of play.

Outeniqua replied with three unanswered tries to lead with 24-07 going into the second half. At that stage of the match, Menlopark made critical mistakes which gifted Outeniqua several try-scoring opportunities, which they used to score four tries to the one scored by Menlopark.

Outeniqua opened the scoring in the second half with two converted penalties. Menlopark started to put phases together and deservedly scored their second try to trail 12-30 after twenty-three minutes of play in the second half.

Outeniqua replied with a brilliant driving maul that led to their fifth try to lead 37-12 and ten minutes still to play, however, Menlopark were not ready to give up and five minutes later they scored their third try to trail 17-37, which was also the final score.