Schoolboy Rugby – Match Reports Day 2 Of Noord/Suid Rugby Festival


Fixtures 23/02/2024 (Day 2)

Affies 25-30 Paul Roos

Affies opened their account early in the first half with a long-distance converted penalty. Following a thirty-minute stoppage for lighting Affies started like a house on fire and scored from a lineout-maul their first try with eighteen minutes still to play in the first half.

Two minutes later Paul Roos replied with a try from a line-out maul to trail 07-08. Despite the Affies' big boys dominating the physical clashes Paul Roos added two tries, thanks to their speedsters, to lead 21-11 at the halftime break.

Paul Roos opened the scoring with two converted penalties after just five minutes of play to extend their lead to 27-11. A penalty try was awarded to Affies following several collapsed mauls on Paul Roos' tryline reducing Paul Roos' lead to 27-18. Affies added a fourth try with a powerful driving maul to reduce Paul Roos' to 27-25 and seventeen minutes to play.

Paul Roos absorbed the pressure for a good ten minutes and then converted a penalty to increase their lead to 30-25 with seven minutes to play, which was also the final score.

Monnas 21-38 Paarl Gimnasium

Monnas dominated the early exchanges, however, Paarl Gim's sharpness on the attack led to their first try after fifteen minutes of play in the first half. Paarl Gim continued to impress on the attack with their backs finding gaps in the defence of Monnas at regular intervals. Paarl Gim scored their second try with ten minutes still to play in the first half and led 12-00.

Not to be outdone the big forwards of Monnas forced their way over the Paarl Gim tryline minutes before the end of the first half, however, Paarl Gim replied almost immediately with their third try to extend their lead to 17-07 going into the second half trailing.

With Paarl Gim's backline threatening to overrun Monnas' defence, Paarl Gim scored their fourth try to extend their lead to 24-07 after eight minutes of play in the second half. A try each kept Paarl Gim's lead at seventeen points with twelfe minutes to play.

Paarl Gim secured a will deserved 38-21 win with the teams adding a try each during the final minutes of the game.

Noordheuwel 27-17 Stellenberg

Stellenberg attacked from the kickoff and added seven points to their total after just two minutes of play. Brilliant interplay and handling by Noordheuwel led to them scoring the leveller after fifteen minutes of play. A failed conversion of a penalty by both teams left the score at 07-07 after 30 minutes of play. Stellenberg scored a great try, cutting through the defence of Noordheuwel to score their second try and retake the lead by 14-07 with just 2 minutes left to play in the first half.

Noordheuwel scored their second try after eight minutes of play and reduced Stellenberg's lead to 14-12, to which Stellenberg replied with a converted penalty. With fifteen minutes to play, Noordheuwel took a 19-17 lead for the first time in the match with a converted penalty.

Noordheuwel added a converted penalty and a try during the final 10 minutes of the game for a deserved 27-17 win.

Outeniqua 29-12 Pretoria Boys High

It took Outeniqua only forty seconds to score their first try of the match, which was followed by their second try minutes later. Thereafter Pretoria Boys High clawed their way back into the match and scored their first try with ten minutes left to play in the first half to trail 05-12. Outeniqua once again dominated the last five minutes of play and ended the first half with a forward's try to go into the second half leading 19-05.

Apart from the first few minutes of the second half Pretoria Boys High set up camp in Outeniqua's half and scored the first try of the second half to trail 12-19. Outeniqua entered the half of Pretoria Boys High for the first time after twenty minutes of play in the second half and converted a penalty to extend their lead to 22-12. A converted try with a minute left on the clock by Outeniqua secured them a 29-12 win, which is not a true reflection of the game on the field.

Waterkloof 27-19 Durbanville

Waterkloof scored the opening try, however, Durbanville replied almost immediately to start the ding-dong battle which lasted for most of the first half. Waterkloof led 15-14 at the halftime break. Waterkloof dominated the second half and scored two unanswered tries to lead 27-14 with twenty minutes still to play in the second half. Durbanville scored their third try after time was already up on the clock to lose 19-27

Menlopark 50-28 Duineveld

Menlopark opened the scoring with two early tries in the first half to lead 14-00, before Duineveld replied with a try of their own after fifteen minutes of play. Duineveld did score two tries of their own, however, the speed at which Menlopark played proved to be the difference between the two sides at that stage. Menlopark led 31-14 at the halftime break.

Duineveld looked like a completely new team and dominated play for the first fifteen minutes of the second half. Duineveld added two converted tries to reduce Menlopark's lead to just seven points. A mistake by Duineveld in their in-goal area allowed Menlopark to score a late try that sealed their 50-28 win. A scoreline that maybe does not reflect that play on the field, however, one can not argue against eight tries to four scored.

15:30 Noordheuwel vs Stellenberg
17:00 Monnas vs Paarl Gimnasium
18h30 Affies vs Paul Roos
20:00 Grey Old Boys vs Paarl Gim Old Boys