This weekend, the last league matches in the SARU u/20 Cup will be played and although one would like to think that the final place in the final is still up for grabs, the Vodacom Bulls u/20s will book their place and a home final after beating a hapless Eastern Province u/20 side in Gqeberha.
DHL Western Province's Under-20 side booked their place in the final of the 2022 SA Rugby Under-20 Cup with a comprehensive 67-24 win against the Leopards at DHL Stadium in Cape Town on Saturday.
There were also comfortable wins for the Vodacom Bulls, who defeated the Toyota Free State by 73-17 in Pretoria, and the Cell C Sharks, who downed Eastern Province by a massive 102-6 in Durban.
Although the Cell C Sharks u/20s managed to gain a runaway win over the winless EP u/20s side, they find themselves six points adrift of DHL WP u/20s and four points behind the Vodacom Bulls u/20s on 18 log points. The Cell C Sharks u/20s will advance to the final if the Vodacom Bulls u/20s lose to Eastern Province u/20s on Saturday.
Last year's winners, the Lions u/20s, sit fourth on the league table after collecting 15 points from their three wins to date. They are followed by the Leopards u/20s (11 points), Free State u/20s (6 points) and EP u/20s, who are yet to register their first league points to date.
The final of the SARU u/20 Cup will be staged on 16 April, with the top-placed team hosting the side that finished second on the log.
Two exciting matches in Bloemfontein and Potchefstroom await the supporters as this competition comes to an end.
Toyota Free State u/20 vs Lions u/20
An injury-ravaged Lions u/20s will look to end their season on a high against a struggling Toyota Free State u/20 side. The Lions u/20s pack of forwards, which is one of the better packs of forwards in the competition should provide more than adequate quality ball for their exciting backs to score brilliant tries. This should be an easy win for the visitors.
Eastern Province u/20 vs Vodacom Bulls u/20
An easy win for the Vodacom Bulls u/20s.
Leopards u/20 vs Cell C Sharks u/20
Expect the Cell C Sharks to start the game like a house on fire to ensure a bonus-point win in Potchefstroom. The Cell C Sharks u/20 side is arguably the best team of this tournament, however, a poor start to the season will see them watching the final in Durban on the telly.
The Leopards will as always put up a big fight and will give their visitors hell until the last seconds of the match, no matter what the score is at that stage.
- URC – DHL Stormers Dominate URC Team Of The Week
- FNB Varsity Cup – FNB Wits Bully FNB UWC
- FNB Varsity Cup – Poor Discipline Cost FNB UJ Against FNB CUT
- FNB Varsity Cup – NWU FNB Eagles Got Defence Of Title Off To Perfect Start Against FNB Maties
- FNB Varsity Cup – FNB UCT Ikeys Beat UFS Shimlas In A Hard-fought Battle
- Vodacom Bulls Confirm Devon Williams’ Transfer From The Airlink Pumas
- URC – The DHL Stormers Can Get Even Better
- SVNS – “We Realise We Need To Deliver In Vancouver” – Ryan Oosthuizen
- Springboks Name Squad For First 2024 Alignment Camp
- URC – Last Gasp Ospreys Win Lifts SA’s URC Hopes
- Varsity Cup – FNB Varsity Cup Expected To Kick Off With A Bang
- URC – “They Don’t Play Rugby In Their Half, They’re Not Dangerous” – Jake White
- URC – Double Derby Delight For Vodacom Bulls And DHL Stormers
- URC – Ospreys Snatch Victory Over Ulster With Last-Minute Drop Goal
- URC – “We Aren’t There Yet. We Will Get There” – John Plumtree