Noord/Suid Rugby Festival – Day 1 Match Reports


Day 1 of the Noord/Suid Rugby Festival delivered some great rugby, despite some matches being cut short due to thunderstorms which made the field somewhat heavy to play on and the ball a bit slippery.   

It was evident that the boys were very keen to play and the competition between the North and South teams was alive and well on the field.  The final tally for Day 1 was 6 matches won by the North and 3 matches won by the South.  

It was also great to have the spectators back at the matches again which inspired the boys on the field.  Affies once again proved to be an excellent host for the festival which was again superbly organised.

Judging from the scores after Day 1 the North teams were much better prepared this year than last year with teams such as Garsfontein issuing an early warning to their opponents this season after beating HTS Drostdy 67-0. 

The South on the other hand also provided some good competition with the 2nd team of Stellenberg giving the Grey College Cherries a scare after a narrow loss of 26-21 by Stellenberg and the 2nd team of Paarl Gimnasium easily beating the 2nd team of Monnas 34-0 in a match that was cut short due to lightning. 

But the match of the day was certainly Stellenberg 1st IV vs Grey College 1st IV which was a tough and close-fought battle with Stellenberg again giving Grey College a big scare when they lead on the scoreboard with 16 minutes left in the match.  A yellow card given to Stellenberg in minute 56 however swung the momentum of the match in the favour of Grey College.  Stellenberg however never gave up and kept the score close until the end with Grey College eventually beating them 43-27 after a final try right at the end of the match.

Looking forward to Day 2 of the Noord/Suid Rugby Festival which is guaranteed to deliver more exciting schoolboy rugby.

19h45 Grey College 34-27 Stellenberg - A Tenacious Stellenberg Scares Grey College

 The first half started with both teams not conceding any territory and employing very solid defence.  Grey College however soon showed that they have a dangerous and powerful driving maul and scored their first try after 10 minutes.  But Stellenberg soon hit back by scoring an excellent try from the kick-off to take the lead 7-5.  Stellenberg continued to apply the pressure on Grey College with clever tactical kicks and by running the ball at pace on attack. 

They were 10-5 in the lead after a successful penalty kick however Grey College took the lead again when they scored a converted try from relentless attacking phase play in Stellenberg’s quarter.  Grey College struggled to get proper momentum going due to Stellenberg’s tenacious defence and disruptive play.  The halftime score was 12-10 in favour of Grey College.

The second half again started as a tight affair with Stellenberg taking the lead 13-12 after 6 minutes with a successful penalty kick.  Grey College however hit back with a try soon after the kick-off from another powerful driving maul to take a 17-13 lead.  Stellenberg then caught Grey College napping on defence and scored a brilliant try out wide to take the lead again at 20-17. 

Grey College replied with two more tries and a yellow card was given against Stellenberg which appeared to swing the momentum of the match in favour of Grey College who then lead 31-20.  A brilliant intercept try by Stellenberg however put them back in the hunt at 31-27.   A penalty try awarded to Grey College after another good driving maul kept them ahead on the scoreboard at 38-27.  A final try by Grey College right at the end of the match gave them victory at 43-27.

18h15 Menlopark 06-31 Boishaai - Boishaai Outplays a Gutsy Menlopark

Boishaai flexed their muscles early on in the first half after absorbing initial pressure from Menlopark and responding with a powerful driving maul over the Menlopark try line which resulted in a penalty try being awarded to Boishaai within the first 3 minutes of the half.   Menlopark responded with good attacking rugby in Boishaai’s half however, Boishaai absorbed the pressure with solid defence and again retaliated with another well-worked try resulting from good forward and backline interplay.  Menlopark had the territorial advantage for most of the half and Boishaai conceded a large number of penalties in their own half.   Menlopark however only managed to successfully kick one of at least four easy penalty kicks which left them trailing Boishaai 3-17 going into halftime.   

Boishaai scored another clinical try early on in the second half and Menlopark responded with a successful penalty kick taking the score to 6-24.  The forwards of both teams were evenly matched and both teams tried to play the ball out wide to the speedsters in their backlines.  Boishaai took control of the match in the last 13 minutes to beat Menlopark 31-6. 

16h45 Waterkloof 29-11 Welkom Gimnasium - Waterkloof secure win in second half.

The first 15 minutes of the game was an arm wrestle with both sides willing to give the ball air at every opportunity. The first points of the game came from a converted penalty by Welkom Gim after 15 minutes of exciting rugby. An opportunistic try by Welkom Gim that started in their own half gave Welkom Gim an 11-00 lead with 10 minutes to go. Waterkloof struck back with no time left on the clock to trail 107-11 at the break. To describe the first half best - an exciting comedy of errors without any structure or game plan.

Waterkloof started to play a more structured game in the second half. Being able to create more space on the attack they took a well-deserved lead of 19-11 with 10 minutes to go. Waterkloof added a converted penalty and try during the last 10 minutes for a deserved 29-11 win.

15h15 Garsfontein 67-00 Drostdy HTS - Garsfontein issue an early warning to South Africa's top 1stXV's

It took Garsfontein only 4 minutes to open the scoring and set the pattern for the rest of the first half. Garsfontein used every opportunity to spread the ball wide where their superior speed proved too much for Drostdy's defence. The rest of the first half saw Drostdy not being able to adapt to the speed at which Garsfontein played, forwards and backs, which saw them going into halftime trailing 31-00 and leaking five tries to nill.

Unfortunately, the second half continued where the first one stopped with Garsfontein continuing the mauling of Drostdy HTS. Garsfontein scored 11 unanswered tries and will be looking forward to their upcoming fixture against Boishaai on Monday.

13h45 Pretoria Boys High 13-20 Nelspruit - Nelspruit beats Pretoria Boys High “Candies” In A Tight Arm Wrestle Match

In a match that started late and due to earlier lightning, the Candies faced Nelspruit on a wet field.  There wasn’t to choose between the two teams which matched each other in the forward and backline play.  Both teams played into each other’s halves alternatively, scoring whenever they could which saw the scoreboard see-sawing however, the Candies stayed in the lead until late in the first half when Nelspruit evened the score at 13-13 with a good try scored in the corner which was also the halftime score.

The arm wrestle between the teams continued in the second half.  The Candies played into Nelspruit’s half on a number of occasions but Nelspruit absorbed the pressure and escaped every time.  Nelspruit managed to score the first points in the second half and took the lead on the scoreboard at 20-13 for the first time in the match, after scoring a good converted try from a scrum on the Candies’ try line with 7 minutes left on the clock.  The Candies came with a last gasp attack in Nelspruit's quarter just before the final whistle however it was too little too late.  

12h30 Monnas 2 00-34 Paarl Gim 2 (Rain Stopped)

11h15 Waterkloof 2 22-07 Welkom Gimnasium 2 (Rain Stopped At Halftime Break)

10h00 Grey College 2 26-21 Stellenberg 2

08h45 Menlopark 2 00-37 vs Boishaai 2

07h30 Garsfontein 2 54-10 Drostdy HTS 2