It has been a tough start to the season for the Emirates Lions losing their opening three games. Emirates Lions assistant coach Julian Redelinghuys said on Tuesday that the close losses were hurting the team and that they wanted to turn that around this weekend against Scarlets, who themselves are struggling at the moment.
“I can’t question the guys’ work rate, intent or "desperateness" to win the game. They have also been dominating physically. But the guys just have to sharpen up and get better clarity on what needs to be done at what times of the game.
“At this level, especially when touring overseas, the team has to be on point to get that win, even if it is just by one point."
“We have seen what one point can do. If you look at the Springboks in the World Cup they won their quarterfinal, semifinal and final by one point. We’ve been on the other side of that and the margins are so small.”
“With the small margins in the games, there are one or two moments in a game that can be the difference between winning by one point or losing by one point. So I think we just have to be better in those moments.”
“It would be great if we can get a good result this weekend and then go into the Ulster match with confidence. No one is unbeatable in this competition, but it is really tough,” said Redelinghuys.
“But what I like about our team at the moment is the guys step up better when it is tough. So this is a game that we feel we can build some good momentum.
“We need a good performance and we feel it in the team that something is going to happen, we just need a win to push us forward.”
- URC – DHL Stormers Dominate URC Team Of The Week
- FNB Varsity Cup – FNB Wits Bully FNB UWC
- FNB Varsity Cup – Poor Discipline Cost FNB UJ Against FNB CUT
- FNB Varsity Cup – NWU FNB Eagles Got Defence Of Title Off To Perfect Start Against FNB Maties
- FNB Varsity Cup – FNB UCT Ikeys Beat UFS Shimlas In A Hard-fought Battle
- Vodacom Bulls Confirm Devon Williams’ Transfer From The Airlink Pumas
- URC – The DHL Stormers Can Get Even Better
- SVNS – “We Realise We Need To Deliver In Vancouver” – Ryan Oosthuizen
- Springboks Name Squad For First 2024 Alignment Camp
- URC – Last Gasp Ospreys Win Lifts SA’s URC Hopes
- Varsity Cup – FNB Varsity Cup Expected To Kick Off With A Bang
- URC – “They Don’t Play Rugby In Their Half, They’re Not Dangerous” – Jake White
- URC – Double Derby Delight For Vodacom Bulls And DHL Stormers
- URC – Ospreys Snatch Victory Over Ulster With Last-Minute Drop Goal
- URC – “We Aren’t There Yet. We Will Get There” – John Plumtree