With the return of the HSBC World Rugby Sevens Series 2022 and Rugby World Cup Sevens 2022 and Commonwealth Games qualifiers, there will be plenty of rugby sevens action to look forward to in the coming month.
There are two men’s tournaments on the World Series this month – in Singapore (9-10 April) and Vancouver (16-17 April) – and one on the women’s circuit in Langford, Canada (30 April-1 May).
As the fifth of nine tournaments, the HSBC Singapore Sevens will be the midway point of this year’s World Series.
For South Africa, the hope is they will be able to pick up from where they left off – as the Series’ dominant force – and further extend their 18-point lead at the top of the standings.
The Blitzboks have won all four tournaments in this Series, as well as the two before it, and a fifth title would make it very difficult for their rivals to reel them in.
It is more than two years since Neil Powell’s brilliant all-round team last tasted defeat in the Series, a run that dates back to Vancouver in March 2020 and amounts to 34 matches.
Following the announcement of the draw, Canada will be the first team to try and stop that remarkable run in its tracks. Kenya and the USA are the two other teams in South Africa's Pool.
Following on from Singapore comes the HSBC Canada Sevens, a tournament that South Africa has fond memories of following their win there in the first of two Canadian tournaments that made up the 2021 World Series.
- URC – DHL Stormers Dominate URC Team Of The Week
- FNB Varsity Cup – FNB Wits Bully FNB UWC
- FNB Varsity Cup – Poor Discipline Cost FNB UJ Against FNB CUT
- FNB Varsity Cup – NWU FNB Eagles Got Defence Of Title Off To Perfect Start Against FNB Maties
- FNB Varsity Cup – FNB UCT Ikeys Beat UFS Shimlas In A Hard-fought Battle
- Vodacom Bulls Confirm Devon Williams’ Transfer From The Airlink Pumas
- URC – The DHL Stormers Can Get Even Better
- SVNS – “We Realise We Need To Deliver In Vancouver” – Ryan Oosthuizen
- Springboks Name Squad For First 2024 Alignment Camp
- URC – Last Gasp Ospreys Win Lifts SA’s URC Hopes
- Varsity Cup – FNB Varsity Cup Expected To Kick Off With A Bang
- URC – “They Don’t Play Rugby In Their Half, They’re Not Dangerous” – Jake White
- URC – Double Derby Delight For Vodacom Bulls And DHL Stormers
- URC – Ospreys Snatch Victory Over Ulster With Last-Minute Drop Goal
- URC – “We Aren’t There Yet. We Will Get There” – John Plumtree