A Disciplinary Committee met yesterday (Wednesday, February 16, 2022) to consider the Red Card shown to Grant Williams (No 21) of Cell C Sharks in their match against Vodacom Bulls on Saturday, February 12, 2022.
The incident occurred in the 61st minute of the United Rugby Championship Round 12 fixture at Loftus Versfeld Stadium.
The Player received a red card for a contravention of Law 9.13 – A player must not tackle an opponent early, late or dangerously. Dangerous tackling includes, but is not limited to, tackling or attempting to tackle an opponent above the line of the shoulders even if the tackle starts below the line of the shoulders.
The Disciplinary Panel of Pamela Woodman (Chair, Scotland), Nigel Williams (Wales) and Shane O’Driscoll (Ireland) considered all of the evidence available and concluded that the referee’s decision to issue the red card was not wrong and so upheld the red card. Given that there had been contact to the head of his opponent, the entry point for the sanction was a minimum of mid-range. Given that the Panel found that Player’s actions were reckless, the Panel determined that the entry point be mid-range which carried a suspension of 6 weeks.
The Player did not accept that he had committed an act of foul play nor that it warranted a red card. However, the Panel considered that the Player’s previous good record, his apology to his opponent and exemplary behaviour during the process entitled him to mitigation. Accordingly, the Panel determined that it would reduce the sanction by 2 weeks as a result of those mitigating factors.
As a result, the Player has been banned for a period of four weeks. This ban will include two games in the Carling Currie Cup and two games in the United Rugby Championship. He is free to play from
midnight on Sunday, March 13, 2022.
Fixtures Grant Williams is unavailable for:
Carling Currie Cup: Golden Lions v Natal (February 19)
URC: Benetton Rugby v Cell C Sharks (February 26)
Carling Currie Cup: Pumas v Natal (March 4)
URC: Cell C Sharks v Scarlets (March 11)
- Schoolboy Rugby – Young Graeme College 1stXV Ready For Festival
- SVNS – “We Will Not Make The Same Mistakes Again” – Marlize de Bruin
- 2024 Kearsney Easter Rugby Festival Launched
- Springboks Launch 2024 Season Against Wales At Twickenham
- URC – DHL Stormers Dominate URC Team Of The Week
- FNB Varsity Cup – FNB Wits Bully FNB UWC
- FNB Varsity Cup – Poor Discipline Cost FNB UJ Against FNB CUT
- FNB Varsity Cup – NWU FNB Eagles Got Defence Of Title Off To Perfect Start Against FNB Maties
- FNB Varsity Cup – FNB UCT Ikeys Beat UFS Shimlas In A Hard-fought Battle
- Vodacom Bulls Confirm Devon Williams’ Transfer From The Airlink Pumas
- URC – The DHL Stormers Can Get Even Better
- SVNS – “We Realise We Need To Deliver In Vancouver” – Ryan Oosthuizen
- Springboks Name Squad For First 2024 Alignment Camp
- URC – Last Gasp Ospreys Win Lifts SA’s URC Hopes
- Varsity Cup – FNB Varsity Cup Expected To Kick Off With A Bang