FNB CUT Ixias are looking to the future as they continue to fine-tune for the 2024 FNB Varsity Cup. The Ixias enter a new area as Randall Modiba takes the reigns as new coach and while they want to build on what was put in place in the past, they do prefer to view that as history.
Modiba brings experience to Bloemfontein after previously having coached the Boland Cavaliers in the professional ranks.
The Ixias have managed to retain the bulk of their players from their previous campaign and Modiba feels that his squad is a lot more mature this season and they will take the lessons from the past.
“Last year is history but I think that the players are much more mature and they learnt a lot of good lessons and they've grown. It's important to build on that and just get the team to the next level. That's the understanding and buy-in that all the players have, so they know exactly what is expected of them.”
Following preseason games against the SWD Eagles and Cheetahs and an upcoming match against the Griquas, Modiba feels they will be in a good place when they tackle FNB UJ in their first game on Monday 19 February at home.
“The standards are up there and the boys are working really hard and I must give that to them. They understand what it is all about, it's more than just participating and playing rugby. There is a bigger purpose and a bigger inspiration that we are striving towards.
“In terms of our preparation on-field, we've managed to get some combinations going, get some continuity going and build some momentum to be in a good place when we start our first game on the 19th.”
PROVISIONAL SQUAD LIST (subject to change)
Jan-Hendrik Bessenger, Francois Bester, Zachary Bester, Floris JJ Brand, JP Burger, Janco Cloete, Liam De Wet, Liam Delport, Septimus Derkesen, Tiaan Drotske, LJ Franzsen, Adielson Gouveia, Barend Jansen van Rensburg, Neo Kemeng, Malekela Malothane, Tsepo Malumane, Asekho Marubelela, Irwin Meyer, Mamello Moshoaliba, Zongamele Ngxiya, Sisipho Nofuya, Janco Pretorius, George Price, Liam Prinsloo, Chris Rheeder, Luvuyo Selebalo, Juan Smith, Tsebano Stemer, Kevin Strydom, Raydon Swartbooi, Trevino Swartz, D Van Der Berg, JT Van der Walt, Tiaan Van Wyk, Bernard Venter, Devinto Vergotine, FP Victor, Nataniel Young.
- URC – DHL Stormers Dominate URC Team Of The Week
- FNB Varsity Cup – FNB Wits Bully FNB UWC
- FNB Varsity Cup – Poor Discipline Cost FNB UJ Against FNB CUT
- FNB Varsity Cup – NWU FNB Eagles Got Defence Of Title Off To Perfect Start Against FNB Maties
- FNB Varsity Cup – FNB UCT Ikeys Beat UFS Shimlas In A Hard-fought Battle
- Vodacom Bulls Confirm Devon Williams’ Transfer From The Airlink Pumas
- URC – The DHL Stormers Can Get Even Better
- SVNS – “We Realise We Need To Deliver In Vancouver” – Ryan Oosthuizen
- Springboks Name Squad For First 2024 Alignment Camp
- URC – Last Gasp Ospreys Win Lifts SA’s URC Hopes
- Varsity Cup – FNB Varsity Cup Expected To Kick Off With A Bang
- URC – “They Don’t Play Rugby In Their Half, They’re Not Dangerous” – Jake White
- URC – Double Derby Delight For Vodacom Bulls And DHL Stormers
- URC – Ospreys Snatch Victory Over Ulster With Last-Minute Drop Goal
- URC – “We Aren’t There Yet. We Will Get There” – John Plumtree