Boishaai’s Braam Reyneke Joins The Sharks

A rampant Abraham Coetzee in action during Boishaai’s season opener against Monument High School at the Southern Business School Bulfees in Porterville.

Paarl Boys High prop Abraham Reyneke has been drafted by the Sharks and will join the coastal franchise next year for at least a two-year stint.

Abraham is a prolific talent who is equally comfortable on tight-head and loose-head, although he prefers the latter because of his mobility and love for the running game.

He was already a regular in the loose-head position in the Boishaai front row last year, and he was looking forward to this season as part of a promising Southern Business School sponsored Hoër Jongenskool Under 19A squad.

He is now in matric and, as a result of the Covid-19 lockdown, Boishaai have only played one official league encounter this year when they beat Monument High School at the Southern Business School Bulfees in Porterville on 14 March.

“I am very fortunate and truly thankful for the opportunity which the Sharks are giving me,” said Abraham.

“It’s a privilege for me to have secured a place at a union next year. I am one of only a few guys who have been drafted by a provincial union.

“My heart goes out to the U19 players this year. We can’t play rugby, which means they simply don’t have the opportunity to prove themselves,” he said.

Abraham has spent the lockdown on the Reyneke family farm close to Tosca in North West, 80km South of the Botswana border. He arrived back in Paarl this week to start preparing for school, which resumes for grade 7s and 12s on Monday.

“I’ve really enjoyed the lockdown, farming with my bothers. I was fortunate that I could keep training on the farm throughout the lockdown. I did fitness and endurance sessions in the morning, and strength and weight training in the evenings. During day, we farmed,” he smiled.

Abraham is the son of the well-known late rally driver Apie Reyneke, who died in a helicopter crash five years ago in Delareyville in North West.

Abraham and his mother, Yolande, miraculously survived the crash. “I was thirteen years old and we were on the way to my final rugby trials at the Leopards when we had engine failure flying over Delareyville.

“The chopper plummeted 120 metres to the ground. My mom was seriously injured, but she managed to recover fully following a prolonged stint in hospital. I came away with concussion and minor injuries. My dad wasn’t as lucky.

“I think my dad would have been proud of me and it would have been great to have him around to share this moment with me,” said Abraham.