And Bloemfontein Will Remember Them.



On a very cold Saturday morning the faithful started to fill the seats with a confidence noticeable from the Grey supporters while the Boishaai supporters were a bit reluctant to make any predictions.The started slowly with Grey's u14A team beating Boishaai 22-17 in a very evenly balanced game. The u/15A's drew 21 all and after the u/16A's comprehensive victory of 55-7, the Grey supporters was in a very jovial spirit. This u/16A team of Grey showed all of the qualities of their 1stXV running the Boishaai team off their feet with a brilliant backline.

Comparisons were being made between the two Grey sides and a victory against Boishaai became a certainty. Boishaai's 3rds won 22-15 and their 2nds won 21-20 to the delight of the Boishaai supporters. And then it was time for the big one. Number One facing the challenge of the home team rated as number two.

The points on the board came after Grey declined an opportunity to kick at goal and rather opted for a lineout five metres from the Boishaai goal line. Scrumhalf Ross Braude went over for a converted try after he caught the defence of Boishaai napping.  Boishaai scored the first of two tries after a driving maul with Wilhelm Barnard dotting down. The conversion was the first of five that Abner van Reenen missed. At this stage, Boishaai refused all penalty conversion but rather opted for lineouts.

The second try from Boishaai came after yet another five-meter lineout and this time Vian Fourie dotted down. At this stage, the score was 10 all as Christopher Schreuder slotted a penalty earlier on. Wycliff Vitoor scored a converted try after a brilliant line break by Kriel with Schreuder kick from the corner accurate. Five minutes before the half-time whistle Grey lost hooker Ru-Hann Greyling with a yellow card as Boishaai attacked with everything they had. Thaakir Abrahams scored a try after some slick handling after yet another five-meter lineout taking the halftime score to 17-15 in the favour of Grey College.

At this stage, Grey was only leading on the scoreboard. Boishaai with its captain Francke Horn and hooker Wilhelm Barnard ruled on the ground with the rest of Boishaai's forwards doing their bit to make sure that the dangerous Grey backline was starved of any ball.

Paarl Boys’ High took the lead for the first time in match after only 26 seconds of the second half thanks to a try by winger Luka Ferreira. This try started a blitzkrieg of tries as Boishaai scored four tries in the first 13 minutes of the second half. The team from Paarl scored 24 unanswered points in about 14 minutes of play which took the game away from Grey College and lead by 39-24. Abner van Reenen rounded off a great performance scoring Boishaai's last try with a moment of individual brilliance chipping a ball behind Grey's backline and then collected the ball to fall over for a converted try.

Schreuder scored a converted consolation try late in the second half to reduce Boishaai's lead to the winning score 46-31.

This team of Boishaai won against a very talented and good Grey side sticking and believing in their own game plan. This victory was not achieved with a massive score although five missed conversion could have made the score a more true reflection of the game BUT it was the way Boishaai outplayed the Grey team that will make this one of the better victories when thinking back to this golden era at Boishaai.


Paarl Boys’ High 46 (15): Tries: Abner van Reenen (2), Wilhelm Barnard, Vian Fourie, Thaakir Abrahams, Luka Ferreira, Francke Horn, Le Roux Malan. Conversions: Van Reenen (3).

Grey College 31 (17): Tries: Wycliff Vlitoor (2), Ross Braude, Christopher Schreuder. Conversions: Schreuder (4). Penalty: Schreuder.