Kearsney 1st XV lost to Michaelhouse 1stXV 26-24



Michaelhouse hosted Kearsney on a very pleasant afternoon in the Midlands. Kearsney started the match with high intensity and soon dominated possession and territory. They squandered too many opportunities, however, and this, unfortunately, became a feature of their attempts during the whole match.  The visitors opened their account with an attractive movement from a short lineout near the halfway line. Dylan Richardson delivered to a speeding James Sutherland out wide, who masterfully rounded the last defender to score in the corner, which he converted for an early lead of 7–0.

The hosts got back into the match with effective pick-and-go tactics and their first points came from this as one of their burly forwards crashed over for a converted try to level the scores. Kearsney responded with a well-worked try from full-back Robbie Koenig from a right-hand side scrum and some direct play from backs and forwards. The half time score of 12 – 7 to Kearsney. 

Michaelhouse started the second half well and soon forced a Kearsney lineout 10 metres from their own goal line. Kearsney won a scrappy lineout but recovered well and the forwards took the ball up in midfield. The quick recycled ball was moved to strong running right wing Reece Daniel and, after beating his direct opponent skilfully offloaded to ever present Sutherland, who scored his second try of the match. Kearney lead 17 – 7.

Michaelhouse fought back hard and was soon rewarded with a try cleverly worked on the blind side in the right-hand corner, closing the gap to 12 – 17. The hosts were motivated, but resolute defence kept them at bay. Kearsney got their hands on the ball at a ruck and Richardson took the ball up and play developed until Richardson fed tight head prop Matt Heard who showed a good turn of pace and outsprinted the defence on an almost 50 metre run. The hosts infringed at the breakdown and from the ensuing scrum left winger Brendan Albertse scored, for Sutherland to convert.  The score was 24 – 12 to Kearsney.

In the next passage of play the visitors struggled with discipline and conceded a controversial yellow card. The hosts capitalised on this and, with three minutes to spare, scored their third converted try to close the gap to 19 – 24.

From the kick-off, the hosts continued with their pick-and-go tactics and made their way into the Kearsney quarter. Eventually the captain and tight head prop crashed over to level the scores in the last 20 seconds in the match. The hosts converted for a 26 – 24 victory.

Outstanding performances for Kearsney came from James Sutherland, Dylan Richardson, Matt Heard and Ross Taylor.